[Foundation-l] Re: domain name administrator--> Trust level

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 02:02:23 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Christopher Mahan a écrit:
> > --- Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> >

> >>I am willing to do it. But i am not very much in favor of the
> light
> >>version
> >>because you can not really do anything.
> >

> > I agree with Walter. The person who takes care of this needs to
> have
> > complete power to make any technical decisions immediately. I
> > personally manage 15+ domains and it's a PITA when something
> needs to
> > be done ASAP and I have to ask for permission.
>
> Technical and financial decisions are two different things imho.
> Technical responsability Walter is mentionning is currently
> typically
> one some developers are trusted to do I think.
> However, the financial responsability mentionned is right now only
> limited to Jimbo and perhaps to our treasurer.
>

> > As far as who to trust, I suggest Jimbo put a name or two in a
> hat
> > and have the board pull one of those out.  I also suggest that
> this
> > should be a paid function (as, say, $100/month) because it is
> such a nightmare.
>
> Hmmmm.
> I disagree.
> It is not Jimbo's job to name people. And I am not sure he would
> like to
> do that. The proposal should come from the person himself. Not from
>
> Jimbo, nor from the board. But from people.
>
> A few questions are
>
> * Do we have a problem with our domain names handling ?
>
> * Is there a need to have one person in charge of this ?
>
> * What could the job recover ?
>
> Walter gave us his opinion on these three questions. Are there
> other
> opinions ?
>
> If the first ones are fixed, next questions become
>
> * What will the job recover ?
>
> * Who else is interested in doing this ?

I peronally think that the job is highly critical, and should not be
left to a volunteer. You should either hire someone who does this
already for a living, as a professional, or jimbo should handpick
someone he trusts explicitely. I think Jimbo does the DNS stuff now,
and probably will in the future.
So the point is probably moot.

=====
Chris Mahan