[Foundation-l] Re: domain name administrator--> Trust level

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 01:49:08 UTC 2004

Christopher Mahan a écrit:
> --- Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
>

>>I am willing to do it. But i am not very much in favor of the light
>>version
>>because you can not really do anything.
>

> I agree with Walter. The person who takes care of this needs to have
> complete power to make any technical decisions immediately. I
> personally manage 15+ domains and it's a PITA when something needs to
> be done ASAP and I have to ask for permission.

Technical and financial decisions are two different things imho.
Technical responsability Walter is mentionning is currently typically
one some developers are trusted to do I think.
However, the financial responsability mentionned is right now only
limited to Jimbo and perhaps to our treasurer.

> As far as who to trust, I suggest Jimbo put a name or two in a hat
> and have the board pull one of those out.  I also suggest that this
> should be a paid function (as, say, $100/month) because it is such a nightmare.

Hmmmm.
I disagree.
It is not Jimbo's job to name people. And I am not sure he would like to
do that. The proposal should come from the person himself. Not from
Jimbo, nor from the board. But from people.

A few questions are

* Do we have a problem with our domain names handling ?

* Is there a need to have one person in charge of this ?

* What could the job recover ?

Walter gave us his opinion on these three questions. Are there other
opinions ?

If the first ones are fixed, next questions become

* What will the job recover ?

* Who else is interested in doing this ?