[Foundation-l] Re: domain name administrator--> Trust level

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 01:31:32 UTC 2004

--- Christopher Mahan <chris_mahan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I agree with Walter. The person who takes care of this needs to have
> complete power to make any technical decisions immediately. I
> personally manage 15+ domains and it's a PITA when something needs to
> be done ASAP and I have to ask for permission.

We could have a petty cash PayPal account of say $3000 that such an admin and a
few other highly trusted people (esp a developer) could have access to when
needed (a domain is about to expire or a server needs to be replaced fast). If
I'm still around, I would help provide oversight for that.

> As far as who to trust, I suggest Jimbo put a name or two in a hat
> and have the board pull one of those out.

I think only Walter mentioned an interest in this so I don't see a need for an
extra step.

> I also suggest that this
> should be a paid function (as, say, $100/month) because it is such a
> nightmare.

Managing the 8 or so Wikimedia domains wasn't a pain for me. The only issue was
keeping up with yearly expirations, but Jimbo has since paid those for long
time periods (that was my impression at least since I no longer have access to
my GoDaddy account that holds those domains). So I don't think this is the type
of thing that we would have to pay a person for. All IMO.

-- mav