[Foundation-l] Rewarding volunteers

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Sep 12 18:44:56 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>Algorithmic reputation systems are always a temptation, just because
>they are possible.  But human reputation systems are much more nuanced
>and powerful.

I wouldn't mind a combination of the two---for example, being able to
say "I think so-and-so has been doing a very good job lately".
Wikipedia is getting big enough that I can keep track of a handful of
people I personally think are doing a good job, but even finding out
who, say, the 10 people I trust most themselves trust is a daunting
task, and one that could be simplified by algorithms.  Then I could have
information like "I don't know this person myself, but it looks like a
large number of the people I trust trust him/her", which could be useful.

Even slightly more complex systems, like having a few multiple
ratings---perhaps one for factual knowledge, one for neutrality, one for
quality writing, and one for wikiquette---would be useful IMO.

Note that I'd propose this _not_ as a global rating, but as a very
user-specific rating, with hopefully a small horizon: it would give me
ratings based on what I personally rated people, and what the immediate
people I rated did (probably not more than two degrees of separation).
It wouldn't give a rating like "so and so is rated excellently in
general".  So in that sense, it wouldn't solve the "reward" problem that
was proposed here, but would solve a different problem---I used to know
all the regular Wikipedians (and even review almost all of each day's
edits and new pages!), but that is nearly impossible these days, so some
algorithmic way to help me deal with the information overload would be
helpful.  Perhaps "show me all new pages created by people who are not
known either by me or by the people I know," and various other such filters.

-Mark