[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] An urgent Proposal: A fair, effective and free rewarding system for WikiPedia volunteers

Kiss All kissall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 03:16:45 UTC 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kiss All <kissall at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:14:19 -0500
Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] An urgent Proposal: A fair, effective and
free rewarding system for WikiPedia volunteers
To: Krzysztof Kowalczyk <kkowalczyk at gmail.com>

I revoke my MUST here. Thank you for your good comments. I think what
I said are better to be optional.

1. let authors choose to appear their names under the articles or not
2. let authors choose to get direct donation from readers or not

> The problem with your proposition is that it radically alters how the
> system works. While you're of course convinced that the new system
> will work so much better, I personally don't see it that way.

I agree you. The existing works good enough. I think it would work
better with these two more options.

> First there's a very flawed assumption that just giving people ability
> to donate will create enough dontations to support the system.

I may not clear express my idea. I never mentioned the funds to
wikipedia. All I concerns are about those volunteers. And I really
know even for volunteers, the donation cannot pay them rent or food ,
not to mention wikipedia sites.

> There there's also this fact that, while the issue isn't completely
> settled, there is psychological research saying that extrinsic
> rewards, contrary to naive but popular belief, not only doesn't
> increase performance, but actually lowers it, see e.g.:

Why don't we try it if this isn't settled ? All I propose now is to
provide two more options to authors. It would be more convincing to
see the difference from our own practice rather than showing some
extra research. Research results could only be used as references I
guess.

Best Regards.

--
Be good....