[Foundation-l] Interwiki Cooperation; NSK

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Wed Oct 27 00:14:32 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 22:26, David Gerard wrote:
> what was your Wikipedia username again?

The reason I have not answered that question is because it was first asked by
a person who offended me ("as faulty as your logic", 23 October 2004).
Although I have ignored his e-mail address, thanks to your webarchive it came
to my attention that he repeats his attacks:
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-October/031751.html

Please note that I am a bit touchy and any kind of personal attack is not
compatible with my culture and my education. I have no problem with people
who disagree with me, but I have zero tolerance for things who engage in
personal attacks.

That said, I also don't understand why I need to answer this question. Is it
some kind of policy in Wikipedia to say your user names in emails? I notice
many people post without mentioning their usernames and I wonder why you
picked me specifically.

> Do you in fact edit on Wikipedia at all?

Does it matter? I cannot understand why you ask this question. Are your
mailing lists restricted only to your members? I don't think so, because it
was very easy for me to register (if that's not the intended behaviour, you
need to configure your Mailman installation).

You can find me in many mailing lists or fora, including FSF-GNU/GNOME/CC/AMD,
and I am lurking on many other mailing lists and communities, while I have
also joined projects such as Drupal.org and OpenFormats.org and very soon I
will join KDE. Slashdot has published stories written by me (KDE/FSF's
WIWO...) and my karma there is Good. My university dissertation is on wikis.
I notice some people refer to me as "he/she" and I wonder whether they have
noticed who am I.

I was lurking here for some time before I decided to start posting, so I had
accumulated many possible suggestions and ideas about Wikipedia. Since I
decided to start posting, I started remembering whatever I had thought about
all that time, so perhaps some people disliked me because of the initial
quantity of my postings. Although I have already asked whether anybody wants
me to stop posting, nobody said something like that, so I understand that I
should be welcome here - but I still notice that some participants seem to
dislike me and I cannot understand why.

I don't really have enough time to edit much on Wikipedia. I have my own
projects and soon/hopefully will have my own nonprofit organisation. So,
although my community website now is still very new (just opened this August,
but already serving more than 65 thousand hits per month), it will certainly
become very known and important in the near future. My interests in the
Wikipedia community are mostly establishing public relations, helping each
other to improve our community policies and sharing software development tips
and practices. I mostly want communication with Wikipedia decision makers,
the Board and the development team, so that we can find ways to cooperate as
independent separate projects. So, I think it should be obvious that I
participate in your mailing lists as a representative of a friendly website
which seeks to have relations, cooperation and knowledge sharing with
Wikimedia. But if WMF does not wish to cooperate or thinks I am a
"competitor", then you can just say so and I will leave.

I suspect that some people may dislike me because I have my own wikis. Please
try to understand that I am not a "competitor" of Wikipedia. I have written
interesting articles under the GFDL that you can copy if you like (by
providing proper attribution under all the terms of GFDL - please include the
authors' names in the article). See for example this article of NerdyPC.org,
my knowledge base wiki on computer hardware and the Information Technology
industry: http://nerdypc.wikinerds.org/index.php/AMD_Opteron - note the most
recent version under development is at
http://nerdypc.wikinerds.org/index.php/Test:AMD_Opteron

Finally, I would like to know how we can implement interwiki links to each
other and whether WMF is interested in this kind of linking.

--
NSK
Admin of http://portal.wikinerds.org