[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 02:23:44 UTC 2004

Erik, I'm intrigued by the idea, of course, as it's my area of study.
However, with the Wikinews project having to source original content,
identify individuals, institute a reputation system and the establish
a workflow, I questioin how apt the title "wiki" is to this project.
It has more similarity to [[OhMyNews]], [[Indymedia]] and other
citizen reporter efforts. The project should at least have a rundown
of these other citizen reporter projects and rundown their
experiences.

This endeavour, while sharing Wikimedia's goals of openness, inclusion
and free content is the most ambitious project yet, because it becomes
primary source journalism. And with this, comes the baggage of having
to deal with libel and slander in ways Wikipedia does not, because WP
is one level of indirection away from accountable sources. Legal
counsel for any primary source reporting would be a necessity.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)