[Foundation-l] Re: Indymedia and FBI

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 9 20:35:01 UTC 2004

Rowan Collins wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:47:31 -0400, The Cunctator <cunctator at kband.com> wrote:
>

>>On 10/8/04 7:15 AM, "Fred Bauder" <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I don't think we actually have good reason. The FBI is after a whole
>>>different thing from what we do.
>>>

>>Considering that Wikipedia is a large, open globally accessible database of
>>information, just like Indymedia, it is unreasonable to surmise that the FBI
>>is after a whole different thing from what we do.
>>

>Indeed, and don't forget that the Chinese Wikipedia regularly suffers
>out-right blocks by the Chinese government, so it's not like our
>content is uncontroversial. I know comparing the US authorities to the
>Chinese might seem a little excessive, but with recent
>"anti-terrorist" legislation, etc, I suspect it is closer to a matter
>of degree than to a complete difference in nature.

I don't trust ANY government.

>As for other people pointing out that no location is safe from such
>warrants, I guess the best you can do is keep shifting around, so that
>the content is safe somewhere at every step. Not that we necessarily
>need do this for Wikipedia, but it is indeed an interesting question
>to think through...

The irony is that the net was originally designed to avoid having
military communications disrupted in the event that a key installation
were knocked out.  Maybe we need to learn from the military.  Guerilla
tactics are important when defending one's country against overwhelming
force.

Ec