[Foundation-l] Re: Indymedia and FBI

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 16:51:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:47:31 -0400, The Cunctator <cunctator at kband.com> wrote:
> On 10/8/04 7:15 AM, "Fred Bauder" <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:
> > I don't think we actually have good reason. The FBI is after a whole
> > different thing from what we do.

> Considering that Wikipedia is a large, open globally accessible database of
> information, just like Indymedia, it is unreasonable to surmise that the FBI
> is after a whole different thing from what we do.

Indeed, and don't forget that the Chinese Wikipedia regularly suffers
out-right blocks by the Chinese government, so it's not like our
content is uncontroversial. I know comparing the US authorities to the
Chinese might seem a little excessive, but with recent
"anti-terrorist" legislation, etc, I suspect it is closer to a matter
of degree than to a complete difference in nature.

As for other people pointing out that no location is safe from such
warrants, I guess the best you can do is keep shifting around, so that
the content is safe somewhere at every step. Not that we necessarily
need do this for Wikipedia, but it is indeed an interesting question
to think through...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]