[Foundation-l] Wikimedia and Politics

Jean-Christophe Chazalette jean-christophe.chazalette at laposte.net
Tue Nov 30 19:43:13 UTC 2004

Erik,

Answering your always bright and structured point of view, I'd like to point
out that up to now I had the idea that even if you believed in straight and
long copyright terms and in the positive aspects of patents you were
nevertheless welcome to contribute to the free Wikipedia and to the other
projects. For instance, *I* think I could have a different point of view
regarding copyright and patents. I don't think, still an example, that great
photographers are *wrong* when they want to protect their works as long as
possible.

The more the wikimedia communauty is getting specific about its political
goals, the narrower this coummunauty is.  This is the great power of NPOV,
everybody can feel at home. I do think you can be a good man and yet
disagree with every items of your "issues which concern us". I like
wikimedia not questionning my opinion and not telling things on my behalf
that I would disagree with. And by the way, would I, and some others, ever
contribute to any wikimedia projects if wikimedia was tagged, even slightly,
as a political organization, a linux-free-content-environnemental-no
patent-no copyright bunch of lobbyists ? I don't think so. Like many people,
I'm very comfy with not getting into politics at all, I love being a lazy
and even a sheepish dude as to plenty of political issues. That's my right
:)

So I can add that I'd rather political activism be out of the wikimedia
goals. Not to mention that this kind of activism isn't like a brand new
idea, plenty of respectable organizations are dealing with that kind of
issues, and it seems very simple to join them in case a political nerve is
itching you. An "open" project should remain in my opinion a free
agglomerate of point of views ; when you're starting to pick up one point of
view, you're closed to the others and ignore their good sides.

Now, answering Anthere and just to be exactly fair, political lobbying, in
the sense Erik thought about it, would not be in itself a problem with the
French tax law about deductibility. For instance, becoming a member of
Amnesty International still makes you in France eligible to tax
deductibility up to 60 % of your membership fees (max 20 % of your taxable
income).

villy