[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Commons logo vote

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Nov 8 11:09:00 UTC 2004

Jimmy-
> Yes, it was me.  It's not appropriate to have a brief vote on an
> obscure and generally unannounced web page

The Wikimedia Commons homepage is hardly "obscure", and that is where the
vote was prominently linked, in bold text. Unlike Wikipedia, all the
Wikimedia Commons languages are stored in the same wiki. Anyone working on
the Commons on a regular basis will have noticed the vote. That is for
whom it was intended.

Before you made your ex cathedra announcement that the vote was to be
considered "inconclusive", "unofficial" and "informal", 99 votes had
already been cast - hardly a small sample, particularly considering that
50 of these votes were cast for a single logo, which will clearly be the
winner even if we keep this up for 3 months.

There currently exists, to my knowledge, no written policy on logo
copyrights or the procedure for choosing new logos. As always, we try to
improve our procedures along every step of the way. I have no problem
whatsoever with requiring the transfer of copyright to the Wikimedia
Foundation for the winning logo before we put it into use. I do have a
problem with the way this issue was handled, with no prior communication,
no clear path of resolution, and an ex cathedra announcement. I am readily
available for communication, so there is really no good reason for that.

Again, now that we agree that a copyright transfer is necessary, the
deadline has been extended and the vote has been more broadly announced, I
ask you to remove or rephrase your announcement on Commons:Logo as a
gesture of good faith.

Regards,

Erik