[Wikimania-l] Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Thu Jan 20 12:47:37 UTC 2011

Hello all

As you probably know, this year's Wikimania will again feature hacking days
(which I help to organize), just before Wikimania proper. However, the current
setup is missing an opportunity for developers and chapter people to get
together and talk about what the community wants and needs.

So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
everyone has a chance to attend.

The question is: are people interested? Or is it just my silly idea?

I feel that people often have "small" questions that developers could answer
quickly, or there are long standing issues and it's unclear why they don't get
fixed. But often people don't know who to ask, or when or how. At the Wikimedia
Conference in Berlin last year, some people used the opportunity to grab a
techie, which was good, but it was while standing up, over coffee. I'd like to
give this a bit more time, space and especially attention.

So, would you be interested in such a session? Or do you know people who would be?

Please let me know.

Cheers
Daniel

PS: Danese suggested a "fishbowl" type session for this. I think that's a good
idea. Look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what it is - I didn't :)