[Wikimania-l] What to do about 2012, and the future

Guillaume Paumier guillom.pom at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 20:33:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Harel Cain <harel.cain at gmail.com> wrote:

> As someone who attended Wikimania 2007, 2010 and is now spending countless
> hours together with other team members on preparing WM 2011, I wanted to
> raise a somewhat controversial idea, namely that in future years, Wikimania
> will be held once every two years (biannually) and not annually.

A lot of interesting things have been said in this thread already, and
I'll admit I haven't read all the long responses. I just wanted to
express my agreement with the belief that, as the Wikimedia movement
grows worldwide, more and more "small" conferences and events will be
organized all year long, or simultaneously for celebrations like the
Wikipedia anniversary.

I think Wikimedia local groups will gain in experience with events
smaller than Wikimania, and will then be able to provide strong
Wikimania bids & conferences. Besides, Wikimania doesn't have to grow
much larger than it is now, if Wikimedians have regional conferences
and events they can attend.

In a word, as we grow, I think it'll become easier for the global
Wikimedia community to organize both small and large events, Wikimania
included.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]