[Wikimania-l] What to do about 2012, and the future

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:35:49 UTC 2011

On 19 January 2011 14:33, Asaf Bartov <asaf.bartov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> effort, but you could get away with a Wikimania that was no bigger
>> than the national events that chapters hold on a regular basis anyway,
>
> Actually, it seems to me that less than a third of the established chapters
> do, in fact, hold "national events [...] on a regular basis".
> I'm point this out to remind everyone that it is far from easy to assert
> that all (or even most) chapters can pull of a Wikimania.

Don't underestimate the impact the recent fundraiser will have. The
total raised by chapters tripled compared to last year (according to
the numbers I can find very quickly - I suspect the increase is
greater than that in reality). We can expect a great deal of
development among chapters over the next couple of years.