[Wikimania-l] Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:28:44 UTC 2011

As Tom said, it works for IPA savvy, but I'm afraid every Wikipedia
has a full set of articles on every IPA symbols. Considering the fact
most of states regulates the name of passport holder is printed in
Latin alphabet, transcription in Latin scripts may work more
practically than IPA in regard of international characteristics of the
event.

Showing local names is nice, and sometimes I did so with my hand
writing, on the other hand as discussed earlier on foundation-l, we
need to encourage participants to use both each local language and a
certain lingua franca in our global community, and the latter is, at
this moment and for Wikimania particularly, transliteration in latin
script I assume.

2011/8/11 Иванов Вячеслав <v.ivanov at amikeco.ru>:
> IPA would do better than "English" approximations usually do :)
>
> Viatcheslav
>
> 11.08.2011, 02:00, "Thomas Dalton" <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> 2011/8/10 KIZU Naoko <aphaia at gmail.com>:
>>
>>>  Also, even if an option, I prefer to see a latenized name along in
>>>  their original script. Either printed or handwriting. In other words
>>>  in East Asia the local may often be referred in their original names,
>>>  specially they are active in that area. I suppose same may happen in
>>>  other linguistic group dominating areas, but I might be wrong.
>>
>> That's a good point. I spoke to one Israeli Wikimedian over lunch that
>> only had his name in Hebrew script on his badge, which was no use to
>> me. A transliteration into the Latin alphabet would have been very
>> helpful.

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp