[Wikimania-l] [Foundation-l] Floating a notion: permanent Wikimania committee?

James Owen jowen at wikimedia.org
Sun Jun 20 19:42:54 UTC 2010

I do not have a lot to add to this conversation as I believe most
everyone has been weighing in with ideas and insights that are much
inline with anything I would contribute.  Mostly I want to share that
I fully support the creation of a committee or some kind of oversight
group which would not be responsible to create or develop Wikimania
every year, but would be a resource to the organizing team to set
expectations, timelines, assist with the obtainment of keynote
speakers, and develop relationship with the Foundation and community
to assist in the collaborative conference the Wikimedia community has
created.  I do however want to make sure anyone who sits on this
committee/group is fully engaged and considers the responsibility
heavily and plans to work throughout the year to ensure local teams
have the resources they need and are fulfilling the commitment they
made when creating and winning a Wikimania bid. It would be reassuring
not only to the Wikimedia Foundation but to the Wikimedia Community to
know that a devoted group is ensuring and strategically thinking about
the success of not only individual Wikimania's but the future of the
conference for years to come. Currently we have a local planning teams
that create a bid and think about Wikimania for a year and then are
done with their work and move on to other projects, no one thinks
about the future of Wikimania -- do we want to always be a small
conference or do we aspired to see in 5-10 years a conference over
5,000 plus attendees, do we believe in rotation or do we pick bids
that are strongest, do we make Wikimania an outreach conference or
keep it internal and community focused...  A body fully devoted to
answering these questions in my opinion would ensure the success and
future of the conference, and provide value well beyond the scope of
Wikimania.

Over the past year and a half I have been invested in the success an
organization of Wikimania, although some of this falls under the scope
of my position for the Foundation most of my contributions to the
conferences and jury is as a volunteer outside of the scope of my work
and work hours.  I believe strongly that Wikimania is an important
event that not only allows Wikimedians to share with each other but
also is a platform to share with the world the capability of the
Wikimedia Community.  I as a person who came to know Wikimedia not as
a volunteer but as an applicant for a job, attending events like
Wikimania has and continues to humble me when I see the work and
dedication of our volunteers.  That is something I truly feel we
should share and I think Wikimania can help do that in communities
throughout the world.

I would be happy to sit on or help any oversight group that would be
committed to the long-term success of Wikimania.  I thank Phoebe for
her efforts and dedication to this project and look forward to more
conversations in the days and weeks to come.

James T. Owen

James Owen
Executive Assistant
Wikimedia Foundation