[Wikimania-l] Update on 2010 timetable?

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:21:07 UTC 2009

I don't consider it a privilige to know it before, sorry :) There are
/always/ people who know it first (the jury itself for one). I see it merely
as an opportunity to do a good press release.

I disagree with you that PR is not important. Wikimania is a great
opportunity to wake some people up for free licenses and what Wikimedia is
all about, and I think we should not waste that, no matter who is officially
the organizer.

Besides that, the local team is in all three cases (as I understand it) made
up by chapter people who could use this release perhaps for promoting the
chapter in their own country and the principles the chapter is enthousiastic
about. The WMF is not able to tailor make a press release for thelocal
press, to which this will be the most exciting news.

As I said, it is not ideal, but I believe that the better publicity might be
worth the disadvantages of giving a few people a head start regarding
information.

Best regards,

Lodewijk