[WikiIT-l] La Chapters Committee cerca nuovi membri

Frieda Brioschi ubifrieda a gmail.com
Mar 2 Feb 2010 10:29:36 UTC

Dear all,

As some of you will know, the Chapters Committee [1] is a Wikimedia
Foundation board-appointed committee that is mainly responsible for
the preparation of approval of new chapters. Currently, there are six
members in the committee, and we are asking for candidates to increase
the membership again.

The chapters committee mainly reviews applications for the forming of
a chapter on legibility and viability and reviews the bylaws of the
organization. This requires communication with chapter candidates all
over the world. Sometimes are applications straight forward and is the
job mainly about reviewing the bylaws and ensuring stability in the
long term that way, sometimes it involves more complex conversations
about whether there are for example enough people involved in the
candidate chapter. At the end of the process, the committee advices
the board of the WMF on the decision to approve the chapter or not.
The board makes the formal decision, but usually follows the advice.

Key skills/experience that we are looking for in new members, are typically:

   * willing to work in a sometimes bureaucratic process (reviewing
bylaws is boring)
   * 1-2 hour per week (on average) available
   * internationally oriented
   * Good communication skills in English
   * Communication skills in other major world languages are a pre
   * able to work and communicate with other cultures
   * a strong understanding of the structure and work of both
chapters and the WMF
   * experience with or in an active chapter
   * an active position in a chapter is a pre

The number of applications is increasing and help is wanted! You can
send your applications with your name, contact data, experience and
motivation to the ChapCom email address, chaptercommittee-l AT lists
DOT wikimedia DOT org before February 22. The applications will be
considered by the current members (in cooperation with the WMF) and
the proposal for the new membership will be reviewed by the Board
before acceptence. I hope for many suitable applications. If you have
any questions, please don't hesitate to email me privately.

With kind regards,

Lodewijk Gelauff
Member, Chapters Committee

[1]: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_committee