[WikiIT-l] Gesuiti e...

Valentina Faussone valentina_faussone a yahoo.it
Mar 19 Lug 2005 12:12:05 UTC

Dear Ant,

briefly: everything started from an article on a
newspaper (Il Corriere della Sera, can sounds like
Evening Post) that reported about another one on a
catholic magazine (La Civiltà Cattolica, can sounds
like Catholic Civilization) on 16th of July.
The last considered the wiki project as intresting and
somewhat intriguing, but frail-rooted because of the
utopia, the impossible dream, of a
"ever-building-moving truth", a truth built by every
person with his/her work and etichal chioses and
challenges.
The critic mainly was of "relativism" regarding the
way of thinking of wikipedian people and conseguently
of their articles, and of weakness regarding the wiki
project versus vandals and so on (people who love
changing articles, cutting them, censuring or
deliberately writing bulls…t).
La Civiltà Cattolica is a magazine published by the
Gesuits order so the critics are by the ortodox and
well cultivated (somewhat intellectual) part of
catholic churc, and not by the catholic people.
Their Catholic church idea is plain: the only kind of
truth you can trust is the one that cames from above
and that someone between you and that 'above' can
correctly interpretate and then theach you, because
you're not able to do it by your own, or at least not
on everytinhg and particularly not on
moral-challenging matters concerning the nature of
good and evil and correct way to choose between one
and the other.

This was the beginning. All wiki ML is wondering if
this will bring to a "non placet", to a disapprovement
by the Italian Bishop Council (CEI) and by the Pope,
'cause the Gesuits order are very close to them, and
deeeply trusted bt them. Last, but not least,
everybody expressed his/her opinion on the church and
obove all the way the church goes (and ask you to go)
in the day-by-day. With no quarrels or harsh critics,
but some… bitter memories maybe. Catholic Church is
not open minded and ready to a respectful dialog and
caring listening attitude as most people (and probably
most part of wiki people too)  would like.

Bye,
Valentina