[WikiEN-l] Picture of the Year 2014 Results

Srikant Kedia wikiodisha1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:54:05 UTC 2015

Dear Wikimedians,

The 2014 Picture of the Year competition has ended and we are pleased to
announce the results:

We shattered participation records this year -- more people voted in Picture
of the Year 2014 than ever before. In both rounds, 6698 different people
voted for their favorite media files.

   - In the first round, 4504
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2014/R1/Results/Voters>
   people voted for all 983 candidates
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2014/R1/Results/Candidates>
   .
   - In the second round, 3824
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2014/R2/Results/Voters>
   people voted for the 54 finalists (the R1 top 30 overall and top 2 in each
   category).

In the second round - the "three votes" system was enabled for the first
time this year - eligible users could vote for up to 3 finalists - each of
these 3 votes counted equal.

We congratulate the winners of the contest and thank them for creating
these beautiful media files and sharing them as freely licensed content:

   1. 547 people voted for the winner, Two Julia Butterflies (Dryas iulia)
   drinking the tears of turtles in Ecuador
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_butterfly_feeding_on_the_tears_of_a_turtle_in_Ecuador.jpg>
   .
   2. In second place, 416 people voted for An Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes
   forsteri) in Antarctica jumping out of the water
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Penguin_in_Antarctica_jumping_out_of_the_water.jpg>
   .
   3. In third place, 410 people voted for High above Tocopilla, Chile, one
   of SQMs Boxcabs coasts downhill to the Reverso switchback
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SQM_GE_289A_Boxcab_Carmelita_-_Reverso.jpg>
   .

*Click here to view the top images >>*
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2014/Results>

We also sincerely thank to all 6,698 voters for participating. We invite
you to continue to participate in the Commons community by sharing your work
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard>.

Thanks,
the Picture of the Year committee
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2014/Committee>