[WikiEN-l] Difficulty making structural changes to WP due to human nature?

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:51:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM, MuZemike <muzemike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Other proposals get so bogged down in endless stalemate and
> filibustering (like with Pending Changes), nothing ever gets done or
> moves forward. That's where the "consensus-based model" fails miserably.

Consensus is in a perpetual struggle with entropy and loses out once
the portion of the community involved in the decision becomes large
enough that the discussion can no longer organically organise itself.

Some structure is needed. If I can promote one alternative, see
consensus polling [1] which I suggested five years ago that enwiki
might like to try [2], to responses of BURO and CREEP (which are
guaranteed responses to any proposal for any sort of structure).

--
[1] http://meatballwiki.org/wiki/ConsensusPolling
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Consensus_polling

--