[WikiEN-l] Difficulty making structural changes to WP due to human nature?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 18 09:30:12 UTC 2011

On 09/17/11 6:04 PM, MuZemike wrote:
> I think that certainly does happen, mainly because some don't like
> change. Many RfCs and proposals contain oppose reasons such as "solution
> in search of a problem" or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Other than
> what Alan mentioned, this has also applied to any technical changes to
> the system.
>
> Other proposals get so bogged down in endless stalemate and
> filibustering (like with Pending Changes), nothing ever gets done or
> moves forward. That's where the "consensus-based model" fails miserably.
>
> On the other hand, a straight "vote" may not also be desirable,
> especially if the results may be close to 50-50, because you then
> alienate too much of the community that way.
Resistance to change is a chronic disease.  At the same time voting is
evil for the very reason that you state. That is made worse by framing
questions in a win/lose context.  I have consistently believed that no
vote should ever be closed completely.  Action thresholds can be
defined, but that should not close a vote. People should be allowed to
continue voting indefinitely, or even change their original vote, until
a change threshold is reached. That change may never become a reality,
but even the right to support the obvious gives a feeling of participation.

Ec