[WikiEN-l] Outline articles

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:45:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
> I don't think we've discussed the "outline of X" articles much on this
> list, which surprises me, but people might nonetheless be interested
> in:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28proposals%29#RfC:_Elimination_of_outline_articles
>
> "I would like to propose the removal of all outline articles. All
> articles currently named "Outline of ..." would be renamed "List of
> ... topics". If there is already a list of that name, the two would be
> merged."

Not commenting on the main proposal, but the following surprises me:

"No redirects would be left behind. In addition, any currently
existing "Outline of ..." redirects would be eliminated."

That seems to me to misunderstand what redirects are for and how
merging operates. Possibly that option was thrown in to ensure that
the content would be deleted and not retrievable from the page
history. Without that bit, it is merely a merge and/or renaming
proposal. With the elimination of redirects, it becomes a deletion
proposal.

Carcharoth