[WikiEN-l] Outline articles

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 8 11:06:42 UTC 2011

On 07/09/2011 21:45, Andrew Gray wrote:
> I don't think we've discussed the "outline of X" articles much on this
> list, which surprises me, but people might nonetheless be interested
> in:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28proposals%29#RfC:_Elimination_of_outline_articles
>
> "I would like to propose the removal of all outline articles. All
> articles currently named "Outline of ..." would be renamed "List of
> ... topics". If there is already a list of that name, the two would be
> merged."
>
> (Presented without comment; I'm not quite sure what I myself think of them!)

NB that there is a proponent of "outlines", who is meeting resistance in
the case of the numerous mathematical lists. I suppose an outline is
properly a pedagogical summary, rather than just a topical listing.
Therefore outlines are more likely tied to particular parts of
educational systems, while a list is supposedly more neutral.

Charles