[WikiEN-l] Nobel prizewinning chemist: "in my field, Wikipedia is more reliable than textbooks"

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 10:46:38 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> When I look at an article as an ordinary reader looking for information
> I mostly don't notice if it has been referenced...

I fall into the category satirised by XKCD (though I can't find the
strip, unfortunately): if a sentence has a little blue number at the
end of it I am satisfied that it is definitely true.

I really need to change.

But I certainly do notice if something is not referenced. Well, it's
more nuanced than that. If something has NO references, I tend to read
it without much critical judgement. If something is partially
referenced I tend to feel dubious about the whole enterprise. And that
shouldn't be.