[WikiEN-l] Nobel prizewinning chemist: "in my field, Wikipedia is more reliable than textbooks"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 5 08:52:05 UTC 2011

On 11/04/11 11:24 PM, Carcharoth wrote:
> Thanks for that. And for looking into the history of that. The fact
> that the tag stayed there for so long doesn't surprise me at all. Most
> casual editors, if they don't know how the system works, will assume
> that someone else will deal with the tag and eventually remove it.
> This is one reason backlogs got so big, because only a small
> proportion of editors actually use the tags and their workflows in a
> systematic manner, and this doesn't include the vast majority of
> casual editors.

I suppose this also has some relationship to the bystander phenomenon,
where a victim will more likely be helped if there is only one witness
to an accident than many.

> One other thing has struck me about the reliability of tagging, and
> that is the fact that most of the articles I use to look up stuff most
> days (from high-traffic articles to relatively obscure stuff) tends
> not to have tags (though some do). I think this is an indication in
> same way that stuff that people look at and care about gets edited and
> improved enough that they don't get tagged (or the tags are removed),
> but that stuff that is tagged but not fixed may tend to be the stuff
> that readers and editors don't really care about enough (again, stats
> of article traffic for the backlogs would help immensely here). The
> few times I've dipped into the backlog, I've recoiled at the stuff
> being written about and then tagged as they are mostly borderline
> notable and I just can't bring myself to help out with stuff that
> frankly arouses no interest in me and I'm never likely to need to
> refer to as a reader.

When I look at an article as an ordinary reader looking for information
I mostly don't notice if it has been referenced, and I've learned to
ignore the tags that are there.  I sometimes wish that they were at the
bottom of the page where they are less visible.  The information already
there will usually satisfy me. Unless I want to look more deeply into
the matter, or something sounds suspicious I have no need to look at the