[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia article on [[Santorum (neologism)]]

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 22:09:33 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 24/5/11, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> From: Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>

> > I've no idea how the Wikipedia article manages to get
> itself represented
> > twice, with two different titles (one of which
> redirects to the other).
> > Personally, I think redirecting the thing to
> Santorum's BLP and covering
> > it there would be the "encyclopedic" thing to do.
> >
> > The comparison to Bowdlerise, Orwellian etc. is IMO
> unrealistic. Those
> > neologisms have stood the test of time, and have been
> used un-consciously
> > in
> > prose. "Santorum" is a conscious joke word.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Well, too much. I'm on-board for fighting fascism, but not
> using
> Wikipedia as a vehicle. We need to have a policy discussion
> on-wiki about
> this.
>
> I've been actually reading the sources cited; this is
> interesting and
> useful information, but needs to be handled more
> appropriately by both
> Wikipedia and Google. We need to bring the creator, and
> protector, of the
> article into the discussion too.

As was just pointed out to me on the article talk page, the article has survived
three AfDs. Since the last one in December last year, however, it has grown
from about 1500 words to 4800, as well as having captured the two top spots
in Google.

[[Santorum controversy]] covers the same ground as well.

We do come across as just a *bit* partial here.

Andreas