[WikiEN-l] Otto Middleton (a morality tale)

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Fri May 13 07:28:37 UTC 2011

On 5/13/11 7:57 AM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> The job of WP:V is to make sure that assertions in Wikipedia are
> verifiable;
> it's not to ensure that verifiable stuff cannot be deleted.
Hmm, I suppose I disagree, but then I'm a fairly strong inclusionist; if
it's verifiable, it belongs in Wikipedia, cited to the source that
verifies it. But I don't think that's incompatible with adopting a
stronger line on WP:RS. The main problem here imo is that a certain
class of sources (newspapers writing about celebrity rumors) does *not*
actually reliably verify anything, therefore we shouldn't treat them as
a reliable source that does.

Are there any cases where editors should have discretion to delete
*actually* solidly verifiable information, like some piece of physics
information sourced to multiple well-respected physics review articles?

-Mark