[WikiEN-l] NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:50:14 UTC 2011

On 31 January 2011 19:48, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the admins - who the arbcom do in fact directly supervise - are
> enlightened as to the importance of civility, they *will* enforce it
> in the rest of the community. Because they won't put up with others
> behaving badly when they're not being allowed to.
> This is directly in the arbcom's power *and remit* per current policy
> and precedent. Only a lack of will stops the arbcom at this point.

I should point out that I may appear to be falling into the fallacy of
"we must do something effective, this is something effective,
therefore we must do this." That is fallacious, and there are
undoubtedly alternatives, possibly better ones.

But something must in fact be done, and it must be *effective*. The
appearance of action is an error that must be avoided.

- d.