[WikiEN-l] NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:48:45 UTC 2011

On 31 January 2011 19:42, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> Please review
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:Civility
> If, after warning someone repeatedly or taking abuse from someone for
> years, I file a request for arbitration, I expect the Arbitration
> Committee to address the question.
> If you think that is not in your remit, please review:
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration/Policy#Rules

Yes. Civility is *core* policy and that's directly in arbcom's remit.

If the community don't want that, arbcom should suggest they repeal
the policy in question.

> The real issue, however, is to establish customs of courtesy and
> friendliness among the community at large, not to scapegoat egregious
> offenders. For that purpose it is not rigorous enforcement of the rules
> that is called for but leadership.

+1

If the admins - who the arbcom do in fact directly supervise - are
enlightened as to the importance of civility, they *will* enforce it
in the rest of the community. Because they won't put up with others
behaving badly when they're not being allowed to.

This is directly in the arbcom's power *and remit* per current policy
and precedent. Only a lack of will stops the arbcom at this point.

- d.