[WikiEN-l] Wired on the Spanish mutiny

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 21 17:24:10 UTC 2011

On 20/01/2011 20:18, Tony Sidaway wrote:
> In an article for Wired, Nathaniel Tkacz conducts an interview with an
> early Spanish Wikipedian, Edgar Enyedy, who led a couple of dozen in
> leaving the project to create a major fork in 2002.  This is followed
> by responses by Larry Sanger and Jimmy Wales.
>
> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-01/20/wikipedia-spanish-fork
I must be very naive not to have realised, all this time, that the
so-called "English Wikipedia" was actually the "American Wikipedia". Or
could that nomenclature reveal a somewhat suspicious starting point?

I do think that the early history of WP is quite a good example of why
we need historians, not just more self-serving memoirs. Even then I
doubt we'll fully understand why things turned out the way they did.

Charles