[WikiEN-l] Drake Bennett: Wikipedia ten years on

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:09:19 UTC 2011

On 10 January 2011 14:46, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I think we've finally broken the barrier and acquired an
> exulted status hitherto shared only by such institutions as the BBC
> and the NHS.

I saw an ad in Kings Cross tube station headlining something as "The
Wikipedia of ..." I forget. Wish I'd had a camera to hand.

We're more than famous, we're part of the framework. How the hell did
that happen?

By making the Internet not suck, presumably. This is also the secret
of Google's success (I remember the feeling of using Cuil: "this
allows us to show the kids what search engines were like before
Google, and why they get all that money"), but is a "large and
important company" rather than "an institution". Useful, that
nonprofit charity thing.

- d.