[WikiEN-l] declining numbers of EN wiki admins - The theory that making it easier to get rid of admins is a solution to the decline in their active numbers

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon May 31 19:14:02 UTC 2010

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 01:35 PM 5/31/2010, Charles Matthews wrote:
>
>> Actually, most people who don't apply as an admin just don't apply.
>
> With ten million registered editors and a handful of RfAs, that's
> obvious.
>
>>  They
>> don't generate "evidence" one way or another. It is a perfectly sensible
>> attitude for a well-adjusted Wikipedian getting on with article work not
>> to want to be involved in admin work.
>
> Sure. However, there is a minority who are *not* "well-adjusted" who
> would seek adminship for personal power.
Yes, and the first required quality for being given such power is not to
want it. Etc. But you were the one talking about getting painted into a
corner. The problem, as I have defined it, is of negative voting. The
sheer suspicion of those who apparently want the mop-and-bucket. (And
anyway, I obviously was using "well-adjusted" in the sense of "round peg
in a round hole", not as a comment on anything else.)

Charles