[WikiEN-l] declining numbers of EN wiki admins Matt Jacobs

c h chzz at live.co.uk
Fri May 28 17:13:22 UTC 2010

IMHO, etc...

The fundamental problem is the difficulty in *removing* SysOp, which *makes* it a big deal.

If it really was no big deal, RfA wouldn't need to be such an ordeal; if a user is competent, reasonably experienced and no DRAMA, we should +SysOp them (AGF). If they fuck up, remove it (No big deal).

We block our precious new users at the drop of a hat, but an admin has to do something pretty damned horrific to even consider removing their status, and even then it takes months.

Imagine if it worked more like blocking - if an admin fucks up, remove their SysOp and have a chat about it. "Hi, I noticed that you speedy-deleted some files that do not appear to meet the CSD criteria; your SysOp staus has been removed _while we discuss it_". No big deal, the admins shouldn't mind.

If that were the case, there would be no need for the depth of analysis and horrible trial that is our current RfA.

Sadly, AGF is missing from RfA.