[WikiEN-l] List of Rivers of Egpyt - what to do?

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu May 27 03:34:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> If you do get a developer to do that, can you also ask for the "what
>> links here" thing to distingush between links provided by template
>> content and links provided by article content (i.e. non-template
>> content)? Preferably with a link to the template providing the link?
>> It used to be the case that "what links here" was a handy way of
>> checking all the links you had made within an article (a good way to
>> check overlinking and underlinking), but in articles where massive
>> footer topic templates are present, you can get literally hundreds of
>> links coming purely from the templates alone and sometimes only 30 or
>> so from the actual article.
>
> I agree - why don't you start a bug in bugzilla?

Cos I've never understood how bugzilla works, and there's something
weird about how you have to register over there and it is different
from Wikipedia (I'm not even sure which servers it runs on). I tend to
raise things here or at the technical village pump and hope someone on
bugzilla raises it themselves (at least until I've worked out to my
satisfaction how bugzilla works). What I should really do is subscribe
to wiki-tech-l, but then I'd probably be told there to submit a
bugzilla...

Incidentally, the way URLs are set up for "what links here" is not
futureproof. Currently you have several options: (1) All links; (2)
Remove transclusions; (3) Remove redirects, and you can combine these,
but if a new filter was introduced, then that would break all previous
links such as those where you showed redirects (by excluding
transclusions and ordinary links). If a new filter (say, for links
provided from template content) was introduced, then previous links
that showed just redirects would now show redirects and the new
filter, and you would need to add "exclude new filter" to produce the
original results of showing just the redirects (if that makes sense).
Possibly there are URLs that say "show this class of links" instead of
"exclude all other links except the one you want to see", but the
default option is for the latter, not the former.

Carcharoth