[WikiEN-l] Reliable sources— some of these babies are ugly

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sun May 16 10:29:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> There were quotes from Foundation-L in the article, which is, I believe,
> what Charles was referring to.  It's time to recognise that anyone,
> including reporters, can read those mailing lists; one doesn't even have to
> subscribe for some of them, I believe.  So it is advisable that people think
> carefully about what they are saying, and to be aware that the audience is
> not limited to people who are active participants in the various
> communities.

Next thing you know, journalists will be reporting from blogs by
Wikipedians and Wikimedians, Wikimedia blogs (some of those are
semi-official at least) and even (gasp) from Wikipedia or Commons
discussion pages! Some of the attitude displayed on internal project
pages is rather shocking to anyone not used to the culture there, and
despite some people saying (this is a hypothetical quote, not an
actual one) "hey, maybe we could try and have a calm and reasonable
debate without mud-slinging and personal insults"?

i.e. the level of internal debate sometimes degenerates badly, but
that has always been the case.

Carcharoth