[WikiEN-l] The New Look

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Sat May 15 06:40:42 UTC 2010

On 15 May 2010 02:28, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org> wrote:
> > Actually, there's now a thread on Commons for logo feedback:
> > <
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikipedia/2.0#Logo_revisions_need_input
> >

> I have tried my hand at tweaking a few things in SVG:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-en-alt.svg
>
> Notes are in there too.
>
> -SC

Thanks Steve, that's getting closer.  What's missing is texture. The
original looks like a puzzle, and the alternates don't quite get there yet;
when you look at a puzzle, you see shadings as you come close to the lines,
which in a real puzzle are pressed cuts, so there is a more reflective
(whiter) edge at the bottom and right sides and a more absorbent (darker)
edge on the top and left sides of each individual piece.  That, to me, is
what is missing in the "new and improved' versions.

I really do appreciate all the work that has gone into making all of these
versions. A lot of improvements have been made in the lettering, the
placement of letters, the "3-D-ness" of the globe. It's just lost its
"puzzle-ness" along the way, and I'm sure it can be fine-tuned as time goes
on.

Risker