[WikiEN-l] Jimbo on Commons

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Mon May 10 23:30:27 UTC 2010

Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> OK. Would you like to try writing something that would be suitable for
> use as "image content guidelines", or at least being
> * Explicit sexual content
> * Explicit medical content
> * Images of identifiable people
> * Images depicting death
> * Images depicting violence
> * Images depicting religious figures

There's a concept that many are missing here, namely that there is a
concept of *gratuitous expressions (via various media) - a concept
that most people are and in fact have been sensitive to - and which
people at Commons deserve a lot of credit for exercising a degree of
sensible moderation over the years.

Exhibitionism for its own sake has no place on Wikipedia. While I
think you and others are right to raise the issue of cultural
puritanicalism as something we should not support, that's not to say
that everything in pornographic culture belongs in Free Culture.  Is
it the dissenting argument that Commons is no longer an island of Free
Culture?

-Stevertigo