[WikiEN-l] The right place for discussion on project best practices?

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 26 09:23:03 UTC 2010

Carcharoth wrote:

<snip>
> One thing to bear in mind is that Wikipedia is a lot more
> decentralised than you may realise. People have had similar ideas in
> the past (though I think some of yours are new or at least not
> perennial suggestions) and the thing that bogs most of them down is a
> need to avoid bureaucratic processes that don't work well with a
> volunteer workforce.
</snip>

I think that's right. We don't "do" project management. Making projects
overly prescriptive probably attracts types who like prescribing, and
drives away those who think what we do should basically be fun. Project
work at its best centres on communication ("noticeboard"), rather than
localised decision-making, though obviously the latter also matters.

Charles