[WikiEN-l] Steven Walling: Why Wikipedians Are Weird

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 09:33:50 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Martijn Hoekstra
<martijnhoekstra at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not really sure why this is, but I do have some ideas. One is that
> people want their life to have worth. Society provides with a number
> of things to do that. Having a job one is good in can provide such a
> sense of worth. Having good friends you share your life with can
> provide such worth. Most people do derive their sense of selfworth
> from something like that.
>
> Some people volunteer to get a sense of self-worth. Wikipedia does

I'll plead guilty to that. My participation on Wikipedia has been
inversely proportional to my paid job satisfaction at the time. I've
had days at the office where I'll come home and think "well, at least
I achieved something today. Three new stubs."

Steve