[WikiEN-l] Steven Walling: Why Wikipedians Are Weird

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 8 09:29:28 UTC 2010

phoebe ayers wrote:
>  I find that the idea that there are people
> behind wikipedia is something most readers don't think about or
> realize. If you are in the habit of thinking of wikipedia as a
> monolithic thing that magically appears ("wikipedia says that..."
> "wikipedia doesn't cover engineering well...") rather than as
> something that's actually created by people, you might be less likely
> to participate yourself.

The approach we are talking about is just what "Dilbert" does: the
apparent premise is that people who work in those technology cubicles
are impossibly needy. and the subtext is that "unless you are
thoughtless about the technology you use, you'd better realise that it
is a human creation". Parodying Wikimedians as Wikineedyans is the same
play, and there would be little comedy about it unless the world wanted
the WMF and its works. Which it does, so there.

Charles