[WikiEN-l] Problem with the pending changes review screen.

Carl (CBM) cbm.wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 10:29:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:25 AM, FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Once a revision is no longer current, then whether it was
> accepted, reverted, unchecked or the like in the past is immaterial.

This is not quite true.  If a revision is marked as reviewed, and a
reviewer later reverts the article back to that revision, the revert
will automatically be marked as reviewed. For this reason, it's
important not to mark any revision with vandalism as 'reviewed', even
if you immediately fix the vandalism afterwards.

I made an example of this at [[Wikipedia:Pending
changes/Testing/CBM]]. I used an alternate account CBM2 to make bad
edits, and used my admin account CBM to review them and remove the bad
ones.  I intentionally made a mistake at timestamp 3:06 by accepting a
revision with vandalism and then undoing the vandalism separately.

But later, I looked at this diff

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3APending_changes%2FTesting%2FCBM&action=historysubmit&diff=368307529&oldid=368306510

and clicked "undo" because it looked safe.

Looking at that diff, wouldn't you do the same thing? Because the
vandalism was present in both of the versions being compared, the diff
didn't show it. But because the original revision was marked as
reviewed, the new version was also marked as reviewed.

The moral is you should try not to accept edits with vandalism in
them, under the assumption that any version you review might later
become the live version.

- Carl