[WikiEN-l] Pending Changes: first press

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:52:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 June 2010 19:15, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The objective of this trial isn't to give us good press, it's to persuade
>> the community that this is a useful and viable tool.
>
> I couldn't disagree more. The objective of this trial is to see if the
> feature is effective. This is a trial, not a marketing campaign. We
> shouldn't be skewing the parameters of the trial to get the result we
> want.

On this point I have to agree. Lets not _speculate_ that GWB would be
a train-wreak. Lets try it, and see if we learn anything from the
experience.   If we already had all the answers we wouldn't have any
problems. ;)

Though I wouldn't recommend trying it _first_ nor would I recommend
trying it while the press is talking about.  Perhaps it would be an
intolerable train wreak only because the press is spreading the name
of that article around.  It would be unfortunate if we reached
incorrect conclusions on the effectiveness of pending vs protected on
high traffic articles simply due to some temporary attention skew.