[WikiEN-l] Three cheers for Wikipedia's cancer info (or two and a half)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:47:09 UTC 2010

On 2 June 2010 14:10, Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> We should undoubtedly stick to doing one thing well. And our "thing"
> does appear to be collation. I'm happy for WP's cancer coverage to make
> it into the same sentence as the NCI's. It argues that some very serious
> work has gone on by well-informed people. For all our guidelines, I
> think enWP does not emphasise writing well; but then trying to bring up
> the minimum standard of articles by the thousand has been more important
> historically (and still is, as far as I can see).

Yeah. But making intros very clear on prominent articles shouldn't be
too laborious. Care, attention, talk page note, etc. Start using it as
more of a tick-box point at article reviews, perhaps.

Wikipedia articles tend to accumulate cruft with time - special case
subclauses, trivial POVs demanding a sentence and so on. Decruft
occasionally and things will be fine.

- d.