No subject

Tue Jul 6 00:35:29 UTC 2010

is not that helpful. You should phone the local FBI office and ask
them if they have agents in the area and who they are (though
obviously this can't be done in all situations). I got that from here
(to state the obvious, not an official site):

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/67526.html

"Despite what you see in movies and on television, FBI agents will not
come busting down your door or push their way in without your
permission. Unless it's a matter of immediate life or death, they
still have to follow the law."

"And if you stand your ground, they will give you all the time you
need to read their ID's, make your calls (while they wait outside),
and verify who they are. If they don't, most likely, they are not real
Feds."

It makes sense to me, though clearly some imposters will claim it is a
matter of life and death.

But really, I'm sure the FBI do have images of their badges somewhere
on their website.

As for the image in question, I would also be asking who the
photographer is. The original uploader (User:Bugs5382) is retired but
started editing again a few days ago after an absence of nearly 2
years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Bugs5382

He got the image from this website:

http://www.altremappe.org/Indymedia/operazione%20indymedia.htm

It's not the most stable or reliable image source. I suspect using
that image would need an OTRS ticket to confirm that the photographer
had freely licensed the image. Or am I wrong to think that this object
is "3D enough" to require the photographer to license the creative
aspects of taking the photograph? I would say this at the deletion
debate, but that would likely get swallowed amongst the legal
arguments about badge impersonation (and I think Fred is wrong there).

Carcharoth