No subject

Tue Jul 6 00:35:29 UTC 2010

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:No_permission_since

Lacking permission appears to mean that old pictures that were
uploaded with not enough information to verify that the uploader
genuinely had permission are gradually being shuffled out. Rising
standards on Commons and a large backlog of old pictures that didn't
get the paperwork filled in correctly.

The uploaders are being notified, of course:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ray_Yallop#Images

...but many of them are either infrequent visitors to Commons, or are
long gone (some of the pictures being tagged are years old).

> Going through the history of [[w:Menin Gate]], it looks like
> it has always referred to the now-deleted image, not the
> other one.

That would make sense.

>> Presumably the software treated jpg and jpeg the same, and this
>> changed recently.
>
> Nope. Never has. I think there might have been a bug asking for
> it, but it certainly doesn't do that as of right now.

Thanks. It's not critical because there are other pics of the Menin
Gate. I was surprised that:

(a) Commons delinker hasn't yet worked out how to remove images from
tables, or at least report that deleted images in tables need
attention;

and:

(b) That "what links here" for that file doesn't take me to a notice
left on the talk page of the person who uploaded that picture:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/File:Menin_Gate.jpeg

So I need to find a Commons admin to find out who uploaded that picture.

Carcharoth