[WikiEN-l] Medpedia

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 21:13:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I recently came across this wiki:
>
> http://www.medpedia.com/
>
> It seemed a lot better than Wikipedia for what I wanted to look up.
>
> Has anyone else come across this wiki before?

It launched to modest fanfare last year, but I hadn't seen much about it since.

It looks like their main focus has been batch imports of content from
other sources, including lots of full journal articles automatically
quasi-formatted for the wiki.  Actual human edits seem to be minimal,
though.  Compare all edits (dominated by automatic imports) versus
mainspace edits (which trickle in slowly):

http://wiki.medpedia.com/Special:RecentChanges?namespace=0&limit=500&title=Special%3ARecentChanges
http://wiki.medpedia.com/Special:RecentChanges?namespace=&limit=500&title=Special%3ARecentChanges

-Sage