[WikiEN-l] Kicking off the 2010-2011 fundraiser

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Jul 27 10:56:36 UTC 2010

2010/7/27 Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Philippe Beaudette
> <pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to begin a conversation about the 2010-2011 Fundraiser, which
>> isn't slated to launch for a few months, but for which we'd like to
>> get community involvement early and often.
>
> Aside from recalling the lesson of the disastrous "WIKIPEDIA
> FOREVER!!!"  banner to make sure that doesn't happen again, I think
> some (more?) appeal videos would be good.
>
> What about asking our readers to submit "I use Wikipedia to..."
> videos; they begin with those words and then carry on talking.

A friend of mine woke up in the middle of the night with a belly-ache.
He googled it (in Hebrew) and the first result was the Hebrew
Wikipedia article about appendicitis. The symptoms matched, so he went
to the hospital and it indeed was appendicitis.

Wikipedia may have saved his life and this story may make a good
testimonial video - but are we sure that we would want to do it in the
light of [[Wikipedia:Medical disclaimer]]?

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com