[WikiEN-l] Kicking off the 2010-2011 fundraiser

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 10:41:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'd like to begin a conversation about the 2010-2011 Fundraiser, which
> isn't slated to launch for a few months, but for which we'd like to
> get community involvement early and often.

Aside from recalling the lesson of the disastrous "WIKIPEDIA
FOREVER!!!"  banner to make sure that doesn't happen again, I think
some (more?) appeal videos would be good.

What about asking our readers to submit "I use Wikipedia to..."
videos; they begin with those words and then carry on talking. Perhaps
it would be possible to get a call for such videos mentioned on the
YouTube blog: they often run special events calling for people to
submit vids on a particular subject. The individual projects sometimes
have fancy landing pages with novel interfaces:

Examples:

Life In A Day - users asked to submit their daily activities on a
specific date; some of the resulting submissions will be edited
together to make one coherent (?) film:

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/07/life-in-day-thank-you-for-filming_24.html

Life In A Day - landing page and interface:

http://www.youtube.com/lifeinaday

YouTube Play - a call for submissions from artists:

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/07/youtube-play-jury-selected-and-ready-to.html

YouTube Play - landing page and interface:

http://www.youtube.com/play

We already have a relationship with Google. We also have a
relationship with Facebook:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=382978412130

... so perhaps we can get them to advertise our fund drive too?

en.User:Bodnotbod

Would there be an opportunity to get the word out via an interview on
NPR or C-SPAN? I'm in the UK so not overly familiar with public
service broadcasting in the US, but I wonder whether they might be
good avenues to promote the fund drive.