[WikiEN-l] Images that are PD in their country of origin

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:15:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:07, Cary Bass <cary at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Cary Bass wrote:

> > Yes, of course I didn't make an exception to my comment, regarding
> > whether or not an image was first published in the United States.
> > :-) Foolish me for not pointing out the exceptions; however... this
> > image was published in 1957 without a copyright notice, making it
> > public domain in the US. I've noted that in the deletion discussion
> > on Commons.

Or does this fall under that crazy 1996 law...

> It might fall under that, yes. It was published in 1957 without a copyright
notice, but may have been published before that with one. I don't know. Nor
do I know whether that matters.

It was regarded as copyrighted in its country of origin in 1996, I believe,
if we take that as Israel, because taken in 1948 (plus 50 = 1998); therefore
the crazy 1996 law may apply. If the country of origin is Jordan, I think
it's 1948 plus 25.

Thanks for saying something about it on the delete page anyway.

Sarah